Za Za's Peri Peri Chicken
Stuck for cooking ideas at home that the whole family will love? Fancy #discovering how to make our Peri-Peri Chicken dish? Here's the recipe!
Ingredients for the Peri-Peri sauce:
3 bird’s eye chillies (if you prefer spicy food, increase the amount up to 8 for very hot)
1 red capsicum, seeded and chopped
5 cloves of garlic, peeled
2 tablespoon full of oregano
½ tablespoon of sweet paprika
1 tablespoon of onion powder
1/2 a cup of olive oil
Juice of half a lemon
70 ml of white vinegar
2 teaspoons of salt
2 tablespoon of olive oil
Ingredients for the Chicken Marinade:
5 chicken legs
½ teaspoon of paprika
½ teaspoon of garlic powder
½ teaspoon of onion powder
10 ml of lemon juice
½ teaspoon of ginger powder
½ teaspoon of crushed chilli flakes
Preparation of Za Za Style Peri-Peri Sauce:
• Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Place the chillies on a roasting tray and roast them for 10 minutes.
• Cool and roughly chop the chillies. Place the chillies, garlic, salt, oregano, paprika, olive oil and vinegar in a saucepan, and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
• Allow the mixture to cool, add lemon juice then blend it to a purée in a jug blender or food processor until it is a thick, salad cream-like consistency.
• Store in a lidded container at room temperature; it will keep for about a month. Shake before using.
Marinade the chicken legs:
• Place the chicken in a sealable plastic bag.
• Mix all the ingredients of the marinade, along with ½ teaspoon of olive oil; spread this mix evenly over the chicken.
• Seal and marinate in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
Cook a treat:
• Preheat the oven to 200C/390F/Gas 6, and preheat a large griddle pan on the hob
• Take the marinated chicken, and cook it in a roasting tray and roast in the oven for 25 minutes, until cooked through and moist.
• Chef’s tip: Insert the tip of the kitchen knife in the chicken; any juices that run out should be clear.
• Put the pre-roasted chicken on the griddle pan for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown, constantly basting regularly with the peri-peri sauce on both sides or until cooked through.
Ideally served with: pan grilled corn on the cob with the dollop of butter and some nice coleslaw. Don’t forget to enhance the flavours with the extra sprinkle of Za-Za’s Special Peri-Peri sauce